Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Liz's AMS 100 Topics & Learning Outcomes

After looking over my syllabus I found that I explicitly list five “topics” (race, class, gender, nation, and power). I also imply in the course description that the course will tackle at least two additional topics: “America/American” and “culture” (this could also probably include American Studies as a discipline). So, taking into consideration what others have already posted here are my topics:

1) America/American

2) culture

3) race, class, gender (This “grouping” may include nation, power, dis/ability, ethnicity, sexuality, etc. as Pete pointed out below. Like Will, I also consider discussions/analysis of power to be a large topical component of the course however I would probably “group” that as a subtopic to each of these three major topics (if that makes any sense). If I broadened this list to five I would maybe list identity and power as the additional two “topics.”

I would also argue that my learning outcomes could be applied to all the topics. These are in no particular order.

1) Understand the complexity and develop a working vocabulary of the above topics

2) Exhibit critical thinking skills (to do this I would argue that this involves developing a “historical consciousness”)

3) Demonstrate quality reading comprehension, research, and writing

No comments:

Post a Comment