Wednesday, April 14, 2010

2 Quick comments/concerns

1. looks like all of us are using video clips (mine will be up shortly). Out of 8 classrooms since I started doing 100 only 3 have had the capability to show video. Depending on classrooms and what building they are in it's possible to get a media cart, but I don't think that's the case in some buildings we are all in. I can just see a potential problem (probably solveable) if one or more of us doesn't have a classroom that can do this. I technically have "media rooms," but if I had to teach one of these units this semester I'd be screwed (Cheryl saw my classrooms yesterday during my observation and so she knows this is a problem). Not having all of us able to do this would potentially create a ton of headaches and problems and inconsistencies among sections.

2. I like Stephanie's unit (I've only glanced, but it looks good) but like I said in that big long email: I know very little about religion. I had Sunday School over two decades ago and the only time I go to church is if I'm in a wedding party or are playing a gig. I've read the first half of Genesis. Honestly I could not tell you the difference between an Episcopalian, a Baptist, a Methodist, etc etc. I know Steph thought about using the denomination mission statement (or whatever it's called). Beyond reading those I have no extra knowledge to contextualize them. I just see potential that if students ask questions that go even a bit beyond the content I'm not going to be able to help them. I know this is supposed to be set up so that anyone can teach these sections, but speaking for myself, I feel honestly that I would be marginally competent at best to do a religion unit, or a sports unit, or whatever. I just fear that I'm gonna have to do a ton of extra homework just to feel competent, and even comfortable, teaching a religion unit (not a knock on Stephanie and her unit, just an observation that's based on my own experience)

1 comment:

  1. Chris--

    I've been checking out projectors from IDS lately. They do make you provide your own laptop, but they'll even deliver the projector to your classroom and help you set up if you ask them to. Not saying it's not still a hassle, but it is one solution to the problem. EGARC has a few laptops for instructor check-out, should anyone be without. I'm thinking of doing that next time because the wireless card on my MacBook is so dodgey.

    ReplyDelete